For years I resisted making cupcakes, instead choosing to make an entire cake instead. A few years ago I discovered just how easy it truly is to make cupcakes and how easy it is to make them look–and taste–good.
This easy, white cupcake recipe is sure to become your Go-TO recipe for cakes and cupcakes all year long!
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Separate the eggs by placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature
- In a mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer beat the butter until soft the add ¾ cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla extract and alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a clean bowl of your electric mixer beat the egg whites with the whisk attachment until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then add the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Evenly fill the 12 muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18 -20 minutesor until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Ice when cool.
Yummy Buttercream Icing
3 3/4 cups Confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
milk as needed to thin the icing to the right consistency
A drop of red gel food coloring until desired color is obtained.
Mix all ingredients until a smooth texture is obtained.
Looking for information about safe food handling? Make sure to check out Food Safety.gov.
*(adapted from Joy of Baking.com)