This past weekend we had a birthday party for my daughter who was turning 5 and in honor of her candy loving ways I made a Kit Kat Cake that I had seen floating around on Pinterest a few times. I have to say this was the easiest cake I have ever made and it turned out great!
I started out by making a family favorite Chocolate Cake recipe and then iced it using white Buttercream icing. Then the fun began! I used fun sized Kit Kat bars and stuck them all around the outside of the cake, leaving a little room at the top to make a “bowl.” Then I tied a red ribbon around the Kit Kat bars and dumped an entire bag of M& M’s on top. I finished it off by adding a row of M&M’s around the bottom of the cake.
She was so excited to see her candy cake and it was so easy and super yummy too. Everyone was so impressed by the cake, I hated to tell them how easy it really was 🙂
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c shortening
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cocoa
- ¾ c boiling water
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- Grease and flour two 9 in pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and shortening, add sugar. Add eggs beating well. Sift flour and salt and set aside.
- Make a smooth paste of cocoa and hot water and set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk and add to creamed mixture, alternating between milk and flour--starting and ending with flour.
- Add cocoa and water paste to creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Stir in vanilla and pour into pan.
- Bake 40 minutes for oblong cake pan
- Bake 35 minutes for round cake pan
- Yummy Buttercream Icing:
- /4 cups Confectioners sugar
- /2 cup butter softened
- tsp vanilla
- milk as needed to thin the icing to the right consistency
- Mix all ingredients until a smooth texture is obtained.