Railfest 2012 kicks off today at the Steamtown National Historic Site in downtown Scranton.
Railfest 2012 will celebrate Labor Day weekend with visiting equipment displays, special shop demonstrations and, of course, train rides on
Saturday, September 1 and Sunday, September 2. On September 1st there will be a Special Event Opening Ceremony with Grand Marshal Al Boscov.
Locomotive Shop Demonstrations
- Removing wheels from axles using our 300-ton wheel press
- Wheel lathe demonstrations to resurface and profile railroad wheels
- King 100 vertical boring mill demonstrations
- Amtrak passenger locomotives and equipment
- 1 P42 locomotive in Heritage paint scheme (40th anniversary)
- 1 F-40 non-powered cab unit, #406
- 1 Viewliner Diner, #8400 (open to public)
- 1 Viewliner sleeper (open to public)
- 1 Amfleet II Coach (open to public)
- 1 Heritage Sleeper (to be used as crew dorm)
- 3/4 Private Cars (Will be open to the public)
- Norfolk Southern Corp.
- F7A diesel locomotive
- NS Exhibit Car – newly refurbished!
- SD60 diesel locomotive – newly refurbished!
- Diesel switch engine locomotive
- DL&W-painted F-3 diesel locomotives
(Owners: Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and Tri-State Railway Historical Society, Inc.)
- Reading Railroad EMD FP-7 diesel locomotives
(Owners: NRHS-Philadelphia Chapter and Reading Company Technical & Historical Society)
Excursions & Train Rides
- Caboose rides
- “Scranton Limited” short train rides (additional fee is required for ages 6 and above)
- Moscow Excursions, including photo run-bys at Moscow Station
(Advance purchase of tickets is strongly recommended)
- Trolley Rides (additional fees) at partner site, Lackawanna County Trolley Museum
Special Exhibits & Programs
- Amtrak “real-time” train-tracking theater program
- Big Band-era children’s music
- “Elegant Corrosion” by Colin Winterbottom digital photography exhibit
- Hi-Rail and Trackmobile displays
- “Juggler Rob Smith” children’s programs
- LEGO railroad models (PA LEGO User Group)
- Model railroad train displays
- Scranton Police Dept. K-9 Unit demonstrations
- Union Pacific #4012 “Big Boy” Cab tours
- “What Can Be Found Under the Ground in the Railroad Yard” special exhibit
Limited-edition commemorative shirts will also be available for sale at the
Steamtown Museum Shop, operated by Eastern National, Inc.