When your kids are younger it is easy figuring out what toys they want for Christmas but when they hit the tween years it can get a little more difficult. My son is 11 and in that in-between age where he still likes to play but isn’t really into toys. Making it harder? When you ask him what he wants for Christmas he really isn’t sure…
Thankfully, I recently attended the Holiday of Play in NYC and got to check out some great new toys for kids and tweens and I came up with some great ideas for him–and all tween boys–for the holidays.
Boys this age are looking for items that you can build or grow or are just in general more tactile. They are looking for toys that not only do you put them together but they do something once you finish assembling them. And STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) toys are HUGE…HUGE I tell you!
As a homeschool mom, I am looking for items that incorporate learning into the fun and as a result I have put together a list of some great toys.
Educational Toys for Boys:
1. HEXBUG VEX Robotics (Spider)— This is one of the companies that I got to meet with at the toy show and I was extremely impressed with their offerings for educational toys. Also, these products are great because you can build them as described in the manual but then you can take them apart and build whatever you can imagine. There are many different robotics to build including spiders, scarab and ant. Make sure to check them all out.
2. Physics Workshop by Thames and Kosmos-– Again, another company that i met at the toy show and I was highly impressed. Their represenative took a lot of time to answer my questions and I got a chance to check out some of their isntruction manuals. I loved that their manuals not only cover the “how” something works but also the “why” something works so it is a great starting point for many great lessons. The Physics workshop is a great way to expose your kids to Chemistry concepts in a fun and educational manner–who says physics has to be hard?
3. Geek & Co Crystal Nightlight–Kids can build their own Crystal and then learn about wiring and circuitry as you build an LED color-changing nightlight. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?
4. Climate and Weather–My son loves to learn about the weather and this set will be perfect for him. With more than 20 hands on experiments kids can learn about weather and climate and have so much fun they won’t even realize they are learning!
5. Backyard Ballistics— With this set kids can learn how to build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices. What boy doesn’t want to learn about toys that go boom or propel things forward?
I hope that these toys inspire you to find something both fun and educational for your tween boys. Make sure to check out Fat Brain Toys for even more great offerings this Holiday Season.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Fat Brain Toys but all opinions are 100% my own.
- My Top 6 Hot Holiday Toys
- 25 Disney Princess Toys for Girls
- Saving Money When Shopping Online using Ebates
- Family Game Night with Hasbro
- VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch Review
2014 Holiday Gift Guide
Gifts for Babies and Toddlers–Coming soon!
Gifts for Girls–Coming soon!
Gifts for Dads–Coming soon!
Gifts for Those Looking to get in Shape in the New Year–coming soon!
Other gift related posts: