I love a good potato soup, especially one that is creamy and filled with chunks of potatoes. I especially love it when it can be made in no time flat since you all know busy moms need to get dinner on the table in no time flat! This Easy Potato Soup recipe fills both of those criteria and every time I make it I love it even more!
Because it uses cream cheese in place of milk it is creamy and full of flavor and the cook gets to decide just how chunky to make it so you can customize it exactly to your family’s liking. It is a perfect weeknight supper because it comes together so fast but it tastes like it took all day to cook–although if you make it the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight it gets even better!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups red potatos, peeled and cubed
- ½ tsp salt (if using ham you won't need as much salt as the ham will make the soup saltier as well)
- a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- 8 oz cream cheese cut into chunks
- a few slices of thinly sliced and cubed ham
- Put broth in a large pot, add cubed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil. Boil under potatoes are tender and then smash up the potatoes to your desired consistency. (If you need more liquid just add more broth)
- Add cream cheese to mixture and reduce heat to low and wait until cream cheese melts, stirring often. Add ham and allow to slowly simmer.
- Total cook time: 30 to 45 minutes
Disclosure: I was given a Speck Ham for the purposes of this review but all opinions are 100% my own.
Want more soup? Check out my 25+ Quick and Easy Soup Recipes Roundup here!