I don’t know what it is about them but I LOVE caramels…they are soft and gooey and oh, so good. And when you add salt to them? Then I am over the moon! I seriously could eat Chocolate Salted Caramels all day, every day–but that wouldn’t be a good thing for my health so I have to try and control myself!
Chewy Chocolate Salted Caramels
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened evaporated milk
- 2 sticks salted butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Optional- coarse sea salt for garnish/topping
- In pot on med-high heat, melt butter and add all ingredients except sea salt.
- Bring everything to a boil. Allow mixture to boil while only occasionally stirring but only to ensure no burning occurs on the bottom. Boil for approximately 15 minutes; if using a candy thermometer until mixture reaches 250* F.
- Prepare an 8x8 baking dish with tin foil and brush it with oil to help avoid sticking. Pour caramel mixture into prepared dish and let cool completely. If adding sea salt, add to warm (not hot) caramel. Once cooled, use a shark knife or pizza cutter to cut into bite sized pieces.