As a homeschooling mom of 5 I believe in making learning fun–because if it isn’t fun then who wants to learn? I love it when I find products that my kids love so much that you WANT to do it and have so much fun with it that they don’t realize they are learning. These are some of our favorite ways to sneak in learning during FUN time!
1. Educents–What is Educents you ask? They are a daily deal site (much like current shopping sites) but they specialize in educational products. Great for parents, grandparents, educators and homeschoolers, their products range from from online curriculum, learning tools, educational toys, software, study guides, e-books, classroom videos and tutorials in all subjects. They allow me to offer fun alternatives to workbooks while still offering the learning experiences that I want.
2. Insect Lore Live Butterfly Garden- My kids and I have this and we have hatched butterflies in it the past two years. They LOVE it!! This is how it works… You order the garden and with it will come a coupon for the caterpillars. When the weather warms up you send in your coupon and they will mail you live caterpillars. You then put the caterpillars in your butterfly garden and watch them grow. They will then form a chrysalis and eventually hatch. Once they hatch you keep them for a few days and then release them into your garden or yard! FUN!! Your kids will be WOWED!
3. ABC Mouse— If your kids are anything like mine, they love to be able to play games on the computer and I love programs like ABC Mouse and Starfall. They are kid appropriate and age appropriate and you can customize them to your children’s learning level. A Step-by-Step Learning Path presents the full ABCmouse.com curriculum in a carefully designed program of more than 450 lessons in six levels. As your child completes each lesson, he or she is guided to the next one and is motivated to continue learning by ABCmouse.com’s Tickets and Rewards System.
Note: There is a fee to use ABC Mouse but currently you can sign up for a FREE 30 day trial to see if you like it.
4. Little Passports-I was given the opportunity to review this product from Little Passports and my kids LOVE it! We got the Little Passports USA Edition and went off on a grand adventure with our hosts, Sophia and Sam!
Each USA Edition subscription starts with a Discovery Kit which comes in a custom Sam and Sofia USA Portfolio and includes:
- An introductory letter from Sam and Sofia
- USA Field Guide
- USA Scratch Book
- USA Wall Map
- Disposable Camera and Photo Scavenger Hunt
My little Sophia, particularly loved that one of the characters was named Sophia 🙂 After you receive your Discovery Kit you can sign up for a 3 month, 6 month, 12 month or monthly subscription and receive two new states each month, with stickers, journals, postcards, models and more. It is a great way to introduce your child to the geographic regions of the USA. Why not make learning fun? This is the perfect way to do that.
In addition to the USA version there is also a World Edition, where you child can travel with Sophia and Sam to a new country every month!
To sign up for Little Passports click here! It’s fun, make sure to check it out!
5. Education Apps for your devices– My kids all have Ipods and I love them for when we are on the go or out at appointments because my kids can quietly sit and listen to audiobooks or play educational games. My son loves to watch documentaries on Nextflix on his Ipod and my girls love to play games. Need some help finding some great educational apps? Check out this post I wrote at Christmas about the Best Mobile Apps for Families.
Today I’m participating in the Hot Picks from Haute Mamas linkup party so please make sure to check out all the other great Top 5 posts today!